Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July

It is hot, as usual, in central Kansas on this holiday week end. There are showers and storms to the north but not sure if they'll make it here or not. I think tomorrow is suppose to be a little cooler, only around 90 so that will be nice. We'll be having our usual block party tomorrow evening and a community (our block) fireworks display. The city is not doing a fireworks show here this year so we'll hang out here and watch the kids (both big and little) shoot their night works. It will be a good time with lots of good food and great friends.

We've been busy around here. We had Grandma's 90th birthday celebration on June 12. It was a great time!! She had two of her nieces and their husbands come for the party. Lee and Louella came from Sierra Vista, Arizona and Jim and Anna Mae came from Fullerton, CA. She was very surprised that they came.



The birthday girl



Lee, Louella, Grandma, Anna Mae and Jim


We had people here from Arizona and California, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado and Kansas. She received almost 70 cards and twice as many well wishes from the people here in town. I believe the youngest well wisher was 1 year old and the oldest was close to Grandma's age. People she has known for well over 50 years came to see her as well.




Pat Detwiler and Grandma
DJ, Doug, David, Dave and Suresh




I had 25 people at my house on Saturday night for dinner and 30 on Sunday night. It was great!! Grandma was there for all of it but by Sunday night, we could sure see her getting tired. She said she was stiff all week after her busy week end but she enjoyed every minute of it.




I went back to Denver with Karla and Suresh on Monday after the party. Karla and I went to Las Vegas on Tuesday for 3 days. It was great! We saw Bette Midler and Blue Man Group, ate at some really good buffets, had In N Out burgers, shopped, stayed up late and slept in. I got home on that Sunday and on Monday morning, bright and early at 8:00 am, I went here:


Yes, that's the front of my new place of employment: Great Bend Regional Hospital. We've spent 2 weeks finishing up, stocking supplies and writing policies. If you want to see more pictures, leave me a comment or e mail me and I'll send you the info. Or, if you're on FAcebook, add me as a friend and you can see the photo album there. We had a community open house yesterday. It was very emotional as this is a dream come true for these physicians that started almost 15 years ago. We open officially at 8:00 am on Tuesday but we are doing a c section on Monday so we'll have our first baby then! It has been exhausting work but it is sooooo nice!!!

Oh yeah, and in the middle of all this? Harvest got done. I didn't even see a combine at the farm this year. Jessica lived over there for the week and Doug went each night after he got off work. I know Grandma appreciated Jessica's jello and cookie making skills!! Malia didn't get to go over either. She's been helping with swim lessons twice a day and doing her usual job at the pool. She sure likes those paychecks!!!

I know this has been long but I hope you've enjoyed the pictures. I'll try to do a little better about updating the blog. It's just been a busy couple of weeks! I Hope this finds you all doing well and enjoying your summer and time with family and friends!!

Love,

Jacquie



















No comments: